UAR is hiring: Social Media Project Intern
Social Media Project Intern
Understanding Animal Research is a not-for-profit organisation that explains why animals are used in medical and scientific research. We aim to achieve a broad understanding of the humane use of animals in medical, veterinary, scientific and environmental research in the UK. We are funded by our members who include universities, professional societies, industry and charities.
We are currently looking for a Social Media Project intern role for a period of six months, with the possibility of extension, reporting to the Head of Campaigns.
We are hiring an intern to support a number of projects we are working on. This will include posting science stories to social media accounts, writing news, developing web content and being involved in many other aspects of UAR’s day-to-day work.
· Managing social media accounts including Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn
· Organising, conducting and writing up interviews with research staff
· Researching and writing articles and blogs on animal research
· Providing support for key UAR engagement initiatives and projects, including the Big Animal Research Debate
· Contributing to the effective running of the office, assisting with other tasks as necessary.
The person should:
· Be a graduate with a keen interest in science, preferably with an academic background in science
· Have an understanding of the issues around the use of animals in scientific research
· Be familiar with social media channels including Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin
· Be a confident communicator with a clear writing style
· Be computer literate and social media savvy
· Be organised and motivated
· Have good judgment and the ability to work on their own initiative as well as part of a team
· Understand the importance of keeping information confidential.
In addition, any of the following would be helpful:
· A higher degree in a scientific field or relevant experience
· Knowledge of life sciences in the UK, especially within universities and medical research charities
· Experience of writing articles or blogs
The salary is £10 per hour. We would ideally like someone to work with us for two to three days per week.
UAR is an equal opportunities employer. Work will be based at our offices in Central London, although occasional home working may be possible. Some evening work and travel may be required occasionally and will be recompensed accordingly.
Please send your CV together with a covering letter to: Tom Holder . Please include details of your potential start date. If you would like to discuss the role informally, please email Tom at the above address.
The closing date for applications is 5 p.m. Tuesday 31 January 2017. Interviews will be held on the 7 February 2017. Please specify in your application if you have difficulty making this date.