Social Media Officer vacancy
Social Media Officer
Understanding Animal Research is a not-for-profit organisation that explains why animals are used in medical and scientific research. We aim to achieve a broad understanding of the humane use of animals in medical, veterinary, scientific and environmental research in the UK. We are funded by our member organisations which include universities, professional societies, commercial organisations and charities.
We are currently looking for a Social Media Officer to join our team, reporting to the Communications Manager.
The Social Media Officer will take ownership of the organisation’s social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram. They will develop and grow these accounts, including through the development of digital content such as innovative graphics and campaigns. The post holder will:
- Support the development of the social media strategy and meet Key Performance Indicators;
- Manage social media accounts including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram, and any other suitable channels such as Reddit;
- Create engaging digital content such as images, infographics, and videos;
- Coordinate social media campaigns to run alongside the activities of other teams;
- Continuously improve by monitoring and analysing social media usage in order to develop best practices;
- Form key relationships with influencers and stakeholders across social media platforms;
- Contribute to the effective running of the office, assisting with other tasks as necessary.
The person should:
- Have a minimum of one year’s experience in a similar role
- Be a graduate with a keen interest in science, preferably with an academic background in science;
- Have an understanding of the issues around the use of animals in scientific research;
- Be confident in using social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram;
- Be a confident communicator with a clear writing style;
- Have a flair for creative content;
- Be computer literate and social media savvy;
- Be organised and motivated;
- Have good judgment and the ability to work on their own initiative as well as part of a team;
- Understand the importance of keeping information confidential.
In addition, any of the following would be beneficial:
- A higher degree in a scientific field or relevant experience;
- Knowledge of life sciences in the UK, especially within universities and medical research charities;
- Experience in developing digital content such as infographics;
- Experience of creating web content and updating websites;
- Experience of writing articles or blogs.
The salary is £26,000 p.a. plus pension contribution and a flexible benefits scheme. There will be a three month probationary period.
UAR is an equal opportunities employer. Work will be based at our offices in Farringdon, London, although occasional home working may be possible. Some evening work and travel may be required occasionally and will be recompensed accordingly.
Please send your CV together with a covering letter to Hannah Hobson (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include details of any notice period you would have to complete. If you would like to discuss the role informally, please email Hannah at the above address before 12th October.
The closing date for applications is 5 p.m. Wednesday 17th October 2018. Interviews will be held on the 24th and 25th of October 2018. Please specify in your application if you have difficulty making these dates.