Communications and Media Manager with the European Animal Research Association
Job title: Communications and Media Manager with the European Animal Research Association (EARA)
Responsible to: Executive Director
Salary: £33,000 - £36,000 per annum (dependent on experience).
Benefits: 25 days’ paid holiday per year, employer contribution to pension, plus some international travel
Contract: Full-time (35 hours a week)
Located: Central London
EARA is a European organisation that communicates and advocates biomedical research using animals by providing accurate and evidence-based information. We aim at educating the public on its benefits, cooperating with research stakeholders, and promoting the creation and development of national networks.
Our vision is to enhance the understanding and recognition of research involving animals across Europe, allowing for a more constructive dialogue with all stakeholders and a more efficient climate for biomedical research in Europe. Our mission is to uphold the interests of biomedical research and healthcare development across Europe. EARA was created by academic institutions, associations and industry to provide a European platform for the public and other external stakeholders to be informed and learn about animal research, its benefits and limitations.
Purpose of the Role:
- Lead the implementation of the external communications strategy of the European Animal Research Association (EARA), agreed by the Board and managed by the Executive Director.
- Oversee the writing, production and distribution of internal communications information on the work and output of EARA to our membership.
- Create briefings, press releases, website, newsletters, leaflets, brochures and other written content for targeted audiences and broader communication purposes
- Communicate with EARA’s members and other stakeholders effectively about our work
- Develop, produce and deliver effective content and campaigns for EARA’s digital channels, including its website, social media platforms and e-communications
- Manage and expand EARA’s social media ambassadors
- Develop and maintain good relationships with journalists
- Monitor developments on animal research at EU and national levels in the field of legislation, policy and campaigns, and identify engagement opportunities
- Summarise reports and policy documents, identifying critical information and preparing briefings for various audiences
- Measure the impact of the organisation’s traditional and social media presence and campaigns and provide analytical reports
- Provide written oral presentations for internal and external audiences and providing high quality written copy for internal and external publications
- Attend relevant meetings/conferences representing the organisation
- Undertake other reasonable tasks required by EARA when needed
- Proven experience of science communications, social media and website management
- An understanding of the scientific, ethical and moral justification for animal research
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Essential Qualities, skills and experience
- Ability to adapt communications to reach different audiences
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to write clear and structured documents
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently
- Ability to meet agreed deadlines, prioritise workload and maximise the use of time
- A commitment to the aims and objectives of EARA
- Written and/or oral competency in another European language is desirable
- To be able to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Willing to undertake occasional travel in the UK and Europe
Please email your CV and an accompanying cover letter explaining how you meet the person specification to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘Communications Manager’. Please also give an indication of when you would be available to start work, as we are keen to fill this post as soon as possible.
The application deadline is Friday 18th August, 17.00 BST. Interviews will take place in London on 29th and 30th August.